Thursday, April 20, 2006

It's a 'Tom Zarek' Disco Dance Party...

Look out, Apollo! When the terrorists start to dancin'...

So, yesterday I was purusing the internet for yummy pics of Jamie Bamber who for all of you that don't already know, plays Apollo on Battlestar, is English and is also quite adorable and nice to look at when he wears nothing more than a falling off towel...

'Nuff said...or unsaid as it were.

Yes, in the absence of and my impatience for new episodes, or even the re-airing of the nine I haven't seen, this is the sort of activity I have reverted to. There was also some discussion with BEG about how I like it when he touches the big board...

Mmm...Apollo and the big board! Gotta love it when he dry erases!

Okay, so now that we've covered the new Apollo (Trust me, we really would rather have him uncovered - There was also talk of a well-written letter to Sci-Fi requesting that his wardrobe be depleted to nothing but the falling towel or checking to see if on the off chance next season's costume budget was running low and offer them the suggestion of giving him a uniform with no pants)but we'd rather have him uncovered...and preferably doing something naughty with Starbuck...hmm...maybe on a raptor...but that's a whole different blogpost...

I was googling 'BSG Apollo' and I kept getting all these pictures of the old Apollo and Starbuck action figures from the original TV show. That's all fine and good and was to be expected, but they both seem to be in disco positions. Were they disco-ing? Was that part of their appeal. I know Apollo's seventies style mullet is quite huge and lifelike (Richard Hatch still has this hair-do...it's not just a hair-cut...it's a 'do) and I assume that was part of his appeal as an action figure. Even the Cylon Action figure could be accused of disco action.

At first this only mildly concerned me, but the more I saw and the further this google shit went on the more and more creepy me and BEG got as girl-type humans from middle-class families.

Somewhere along the way, I decided I wanted a new Apollo and Starbuck action figures (Once again so they can smack each other around and do naughty things - Imagine if they did exist, I would have them and they both would've been repainted and changed by now). BEG and I started to chat it up about this, pow-wow style like we usually do under such dire needs for new BSG action figures. It came up that we could buy these old Apollo action figures and re-paint them to look like Richard Hatch's new BSG character, Tom Zarek. I was all, we need to do this because they'll never make a 'Tom Zarek'. I started to google BSG action figures, finding all these disco style posed Apollo-s and Starbucks again and became increasingly amused. I know this was probably intended as a serious action move, making the most literal of the words 'ACTION FIGURE', but to me...still looks like good ol' fashioned disco goodness. And thus the plotting and scheming for 'Tom Zarek's Disco Dance Party' started. BEG said something about it being live from The Astral Queen, their first duty as a ship unhinged from the rest of the fleet and full of hardened criminals, was to build a disco ballroom. Hell, the resistance built a regulation size Pyramid Ball court. Why not a disco ballroom?

So, now I'm set forth on a mission to buy some old school Battlestar disco action figures of Starbuck and Apollo, re-paint them so Richard Hatch's likeness is wearing the prisoner jumpsuit he wears in the new Galactica as terrorist/activist/prisoner, Tom Zarek and then I will build them a decent diorama of a disco so we can act out 'Tom Zarek's Disco Dance Party'...Live from the Astral Queen's newly built disco ballroom...on film. Of course I have to file down the chins on the Hatch-es because now aged, he seems to no longer have a definable chin. "Hey, Hatch! Get that excess skin removed. You're freakin' me out!" Anthony Edwards actually suffers so badly from this disease, regression started at birth and his face seems to be just caving in altogether. It's sort of sucking back into itself... Shit! I am way off topic...Back to the big board...

Hmm...Big board...

If you have a mildly abused Apollo from childhood hanging around, collecting dust in a box somewhere or from teenhood when you bought him at a garage sale cause you thought it would be fun to actually hang him and he's been hanging on a action figure sized noose (I know my friends and I wrecked many knight-rider toys bought at rummage sales...and lets not forget when Pokey got licked), give me a shout so I can start constructing the party.

Also, Sci-Fi was playing a marathon of the original Battlestar either yesterday or today and I was reading the descriptions of the episodes, which are often similiar to new BSG descriptions and titles, but when thinking about it, I was actually thinking about old Apollo and Starbuck, both men once again, but in terms of their newer versions' relationship, boy and girl and how they flirt and slap each other around and it was really...well, it was really something else.

I leave you with this...


Found somewhere on the internet along the way. I had nothing to do with it. If it's yours, you know who you are and I applaud you. Clap! Clap! Clap! I'm sorry I'm an idiot!

2 Comments:

Blogger Black Eyed Gurl said...

Jaimie Bamber should stick with his American accent. While watching the special features on Season 1 last night (I needed BSG!) I got to hear what he sounds like in British, and my god does he sound !. like a girl 2. like a really girly Gaius Bastard. Seriously. Mmm Apollo...

1:56 PM  
Blogger IvoryValentine said...

He's also sort of terrifying with any hair he has that's longer than it is on BSG!

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home